Equine Services

Our equine vets are able to provide you with a comprehensive service for your cherished horse, pony or donkey.  We have been covering Newton Abbot Racecourse during race days since Wilf Beaumont set-up the practice more than 50 years ago and we have been providing cover for Exeter racecourse for the past 4 years.

Our vets can provide a full medical service including conditions such as lameness and colics.  We work with local farriers and Neil Pierce an equine radiographer to ensure that cases are managed fully.

We are able to perform in field surgical procedures such as stitch-ups, castrations, hernia repairs and eye operations.  We provide a full referral service for any operation too large or complicated to be done in the field.

Our presence on Dartmoor means that we are heavily involved with caring for Dartmoor Ponies with routine castrations and micro-chipping of large numbers of ponies done at a discount.

Our full list of services are provided below:

  • Vaccinations
  • Regular worming
  • Health checks
  • Ultrasound scanning
  • Use of a mobile X-ray machine
  • Dentals
  • Endoscopy
  • Routine castrations, stitch-ups and in-field operations
  • Emergency out of hours cover with our own vets

Horse medicines and passport requirements:

  • Horses and other equidae are considered by law to be food-producing species in the European Union. It must be assumed that any equidae could ultimately enter the food chain, even if the current owner does not wish it to do so.
  • All horses, ponies and donkeys must have a horse passport. This ensures that those animals treated with medicines not authorised for use in food species don't end up as food for human consumption
  • We are obliged by law to check the passport before we administer, prescribe or dispense any medicine. If the passport is not available or we are not satisfied that the passport relates to the horse in question, we must treat the horse as if it is intended for human consumption
  • All vaccines administered must be recorded in the passport
  • If a horse needs emergency treatment and the passport is not available, or we believe that the passport does not relate to the horse we are treating, we must treat the horse with medication suitable for food producing animals. We must then issue a document which details the medicines given and an instruction to the owner or keeper to keep this with the passport.
  • In the absence of a horse passport, where a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) is required in accordance with BEVA advice we should select one of the many NSAIDs approved for use in food producing horses, if this is not possible then a NSAID approved for use in another food producing species can be used.

This site uses cookies to provide and improve the service. Continue to browse this site as you would, or switch off all unnecessary cookies.